Skip to main content

Beaches and Beyonce

Prepare yourselves....Cassidy is a young LADY! I almost did not believe it myself. And I guess I just did not notice how much she has grown until we took a mini roadtrip to a beach in CT for 2 nights. All of our carefully planned camping weekend trips were canceled because our camper van stopped working in May and stayed in the shop all summer and some of fall (Bongo just got fixed this week and Matt is headed to pick her up tomorrow! Bongo now has lots of extra parts mailed from somewhere in Great Britain, but we are told she no longer puts out black smoke and cruises just fine again. I guess cam shafts are really important!) 

It was super fortunate that we found an open air bnb near a beach and grocery store midweek to visit and even better that the weather held. But before we hit the sand and waves, Cass said she needed a new swimsuit. Nothing in the little girls section fit! What?! And there was no teen or in between section. So we headed to the adult section where we had some success with small and X-small. This should not have come as a surprise, she has been sneakily getting into my closet for a year now, but I thought that was for older things that barely fit me anymore! Nope, she is officially all the way into my closet and was over the moon to discover during this mini beach visit she is now taller than me. Unbelievable! This was also a good time to do some back to school shopping. We live in a rural area with not too many shopping areas nearby. Driving through cities with more options to bargain hunt through was nice.

Anyway, aside from embracing my kiddo's beautiful growth journey, we played games, watched murder she wrote, ate lots of junk food, and read lots of books in a short amount of time. We also took a super cute and entertaining ferry ride with a lighthouse tour and learned some interesting factoids about the area. I love being on the water. Near the water. By the water. It is definitely my happy place. We also drove through Mystic- such a cute little town! Last time we visited was on a special anniversary of the bridge. I was completely into learning all about this bridge's history and it was just as great this time around to walk around it and see the welcome booth. At least to me, I think the rest of team smith could take it or leave it...lol

On day 3, we packed up and headed to Judi and Steve's house. They live not too far from the place where Beyonce was performing. We were super thankful to take them up on their offer of staying the night. Matt and I went to the concert on our own, the kids played dance dance revolution with their play cousins. Don't feel bad for them, they get to do cool stuff all the time! For us, this was a grown folx only, grown folx content, kind of evening. Our tickets were not cheap, and our seats were three rows from the very tip top of the stadium, close to a staircase that clearly not up to code. And it was a GREAT concert!!!! I would go again. The whole vibe was so welcoming and fun. The costumes, the music, the banter, the people watching! Amazing. 





































 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Weekend at Miss Halls

 Cassidy is thriving in her new school. She is in a community that has space and access to intentionally and thoughtfully live out its values.  While a return to on campus living was not in our plans, it has allowed us to be nearby as she dances along the edges of independence.  Matt has a front row seat to daily life at the school, and was chauffering to Savvy's soccer game while I got to be the parent of a day student who is also a resident for the two day event.  Friday night's concert was a mix of choral and instrumental pieces. SO much talent! It's the second time Cass has played Sir Duke in a concert and she seemed very happy with her performance. She knew we were, as evidenced by our cheering 🤗 On Saturday I got to be a student! I went to all of her classes for 20 minutes for a real lesson. I usually interact with her teachers in a social setting; eating meals together, attending events, going to the adult wellness stuff, random hallway conversations. Getting to see

Birthdays & Graduation & May fun

 May was quite the month in the Team Smith house... I participated in my second MCLA graduation, and Savannah's soccer team played a lot of games. Cassidy had a 14th birthday party complete with mini golfing, ice cream, and sushi. Sunday was mother's day. We spent the day in Manchester eating, shopping, and hiking. Brunch at Ponce was delish! The Northshire Bookstore never disappoints. The baby goats at Hildene were cuter than last year. Cass had several band performances. She did a great job marching in lots of parades. We did an overnight staycation in VT and had the whole place to ourselves! And enjoyed our first outdoor concert of the summer season... There was a supercute plant sale at Matt's work. It's an annual tradition where 9th graders make pottery, grow seedlings and plants, then sell to the community. Oh! I cannot forget, we attended the annual town meeting. If you have ever watched Gilmore Girls and witnessed a Stars Hollow mtg, you have been to our town mt

Washington DC

Well this was a first! See that picture above? See the last name? Yup, that is my last name. I cannot describe how awestruck it was to walk around the Smithsonian African American Museum, turn a corner, see a photo, read the description, and realize I shared a last name, an uncommon last name, with the person in the image. All. The. Feels. And just days before the Goree Family Reunion?! Stahp it! What in the Wakanda was happening?! I'll tell you what was happening: the ancestors, my ancestors, were telling me to get ready for the reunion to be a healing, joyful experience not to be taken for granted. And it was.  When we confirmed with momma the reunion was really happening, we wasted no time locking down our airfare with a combo of points and red-eye flights for the four of us. These were not direct flights, they were cheap flights! Which meant a layover or two. The layover happened to be in DC. Matt and I have been to DC together, and we've been on our own lots of times. But,