Skip to main content

Signing Day!


I am ECSTATIC to announce that I have accepted a new position (with an extremely long title) in the great State of Washington: Director of CASA/MECA* at Tacoma Community College!  (*The Center for Academic Support and Achievement and Multi-Ethnic and Cultural Affairs).

For couples who are both higher ed folk it can be challenging to find jobs (that you want) in the same place at the same time (for reference, see the Team Smith in Chicago Saga, 2011-2013), and we are now BOTH in roles that we're extremely excited about.

Some of you know that I've been searching for the past year and change, hoping to get back into student affairs. I learned a tremendous amount working for the State, but missed being able to have a direct impact on students' lives. I had interviews all over the place, but could never quite close the deal. Finding a job in multicultural student affairs is one of the few places where my many overlapping privileges do NOT typically help, but I knew this was The Work that had the most meaning for me.

After another 'thanks but no thanks' on-campus interview, the soon-to-be Dr. Jeannette Smith sat me down and said, 'you need to start doing the work now - don't wait for the stars to align'.

She couldn't have been more right (per usual). As she often says, "why doesn't everyone just listen to me in the first place?"

I started collaborating with colleagues like YeVonne Allen in Equity and Inclusion at TMCC to develop workshops on multicultural competencies, engaging with students of professors like Dr. Paul Mitchell at the Reynolds School, and even managed to convince Dr. Smith herself to present with me at the Northern Nevada Diversity Summit - all of it for free, and all of it building my CV and my confidence. I believe this position is a direct result of that work, and I can't wait for August 16th to arrive!

There are far too many folk who have helped me on this path to thank them all, so know that I'm so grateful for your support, and thank you in advance for your help when I reach out on behalf of 'our students' at TCC.

Onward and Upward,
Matt




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Weekend at Miss Halls

 Cassidy is thriving in her new school. She is in a community that has space and access to intentionally and thoughtfully live out its values.  While a return to on campus living was not in our plans, it has allowed us to be nearby as she dances along the edges of independence.  Matt has a front row seat to daily life at the school, and was chauffering to Savvy's soccer game while I got to be the parent of a day student who is also a resident for the two day event.  Friday night's concert was a mix of choral and instrumental pieces. SO much talent! It's the second time Cass has played Sir Duke in a concert and she seemed very happy with her performance. She knew we were, as evidenced by our cheering 🤗 On Saturday I got to be a student! I went to all of her classes for 20 minutes for a real lesson. I usually interact with her teachers in a social setting; eating meals together, attending events, going to the adult wellness stuff, random hallway conversations. Getting to see

Birthdays & Graduation & May fun

 May was quite the month in the Team Smith house... I participated in my second MCLA graduation, and Savannah's soccer team played a lot of games. Cassidy had a 14th birthday party complete with mini golfing, ice cream, and sushi. Sunday was mother's day. We spent the day in Manchester eating, shopping, and hiking. Brunch at Ponce was delish! The Northshire Bookstore never disappoints. The baby goats at Hildene were cuter than last year. Cass had several band performances. She did a great job marching in lots of parades. We did an overnight staycation in VT and had the whole place to ourselves! And enjoyed our first outdoor concert of the summer season... There was a supercute plant sale at Matt's work. It's an annual tradition where 9th graders make pottery, grow seedlings and plants, then sell to the community. Oh! I cannot forget, we attended the annual town meeting. If you have ever watched Gilmore Girls and witnessed a Stars Hollow mtg, you have been to our town mt

Washington DC

Well this was a first! See that picture above? See the last name? Yup, that is my last name. I cannot describe how awestruck it was to walk around the Smithsonian African American Museum, turn a corner, see a photo, read the description, and realize I shared a last name, an uncommon last name, with the person in the image. All. The. Feels. And just days before the Goree Family Reunion?! Stahp it! What in the Wakanda was happening?! I'll tell you what was happening: the ancestors, my ancestors, were telling me to get ready for the reunion to be a healing, joyful experience not to be taken for granted. And it was.  When we confirmed with momma the reunion was really happening, we wasted no time locking down our airfare with a combo of points and red-eye flights for the four of us. These were not direct flights, they were cheap flights! Which meant a layover or two. The layover happened to be in DC. Matt and I have been to DC together, and we've been on our own lots of times. But,