Skip to main content

Signing Day!


I am ECSTATIC to announce that I have accepted a new position (with an extremely long title) in the great State of Washington: Director of CASA/MECA* at Tacoma Community College!  (*The Center for Academic Support and Achievement and Multi-Ethnic and Cultural Affairs).

For couples who are both higher ed folk it can be challenging to find jobs (that you want) in the same place at the same time (for reference, see the Team Smith in Chicago Saga, 2011-2013), and we are now BOTH in roles that we're extremely excited about.

Some of you know that I've been searching for the past year and change, hoping to get back into student affairs. I learned a tremendous amount working for the State, but missed being able to have a direct impact on students' lives. I had interviews all over the place, but could never quite close the deal. Finding a job in multicultural student affairs is one of the few places where my many overlapping privileges do NOT typically help, but I knew this was The Work that had the most meaning for me.

After another 'thanks but no thanks' on-campus interview, the soon-to-be Dr. Jeannette Smith sat me down and said, 'you need to start doing the work now - don't wait for the stars to align'.

She couldn't have been more right (per usual). As she often says, "why doesn't everyone just listen to me in the first place?"

I started collaborating with colleagues like YeVonne Allen in Equity and Inclusion at TMCC to develop workshops on multicultural competencies, engaging with students of professors like Dr. Paul Mitchell at the Reynolds School, and even managed to convince Dr. Smith herself to present with me at the Northern Nevada Diversity Summit - all of it for free, and all of it building my CV and my confidence. I believe this position is a direct result of that work, and I can't wait for August 16th to arrive!

There are far too many folk who have helped me on this path to thank them all, so know that I'm so grateful for your support, and thank you in advance for your help when I reach out on behalf of 'our students' at TCC.

Onward and Upward,
Matt




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dancing

Cassidy loves to dance. So far, any type of music gets her going! In this video we were cleaning the kitchen when she decided to break out. When she saw the camera she started saying cheese because she thought it was a real camera. I hope you can see it!

After you clean your room...

This evening Cassidy revealed to me a small secret to keeping her occupied. After dinner she asked me if she could watch a show. We don't have tv, but we do have netflix through the wii on our tv and we watch all the greatness that PBS and Nickelodian have to offer! Except for Caillou because I think he's kind of whiny. Anyway, she gets to watch limited amounts of Diego, Dora, Dinosaur Train, Super Why, Word World, etc and sometimes we throw in some Cosby Show for good measure. She'll pick two shows and watch one, 20 minute episode of each and then we call it good. Well tonight when she asked for a show, I told her she could watch one episode of her favorite after she cleaned her room. She went into her room and as she started putting toys away, she started playing with them. She'd go to put books away and start "reading" them. Twenty minutes later she'd start putting crayons away, then start drawing with them. Ten minutes later she'd start putting awa...

Dear Cassidy and future Baby Smith

Dear Cassidy and future Baby Smith, I am sure that bloggers across the world are firing away about a news piece gone viral today. http://gma.yahoo.com/k-e-diet-brides-using-feeding-tubes-rapidly-080053646--abc-news-health.html In case this link is non-existent by the time you read this, long story short, people are using feeding tubes for rapid weight loss in a short amount of time. This is your mother talking. If for some reason this ridiculous trend is still around when you grow up, and you think about doing this to your self, please know that I will spank you and put you in timeout. You do not diet to fit into a dress, or suit. You pick an outfit that highlights your best attributes and get it tailored to fit your body, not the other way around. No matter what size you are, as long as your are healthy, not putting toxins into your body, and exercising, whatever size you are is beautiful and perfect in God's eyes because God does not make mistakes. There is a flattering de...