Skip to main content

The First 100ish Days @MCLA

 One of my favorite parts of serving on a conference team is that you get to make friends with people. As we were getting ready to move here, one of those dear friends and I had a conversation about the move and the role. They asked me how I knew I was ready for this job and when did I know I wanted to do this work. My honest answer was I had no idea! I did not aspire to this role, I did not have a checklist or 5 year plan, I did not dream of applying for a vp position. I just wanted to do good work, serve students, support a staff of like minded people, and work in a environment that was not a toxic one. I definitely had doubts about this, we build these roles up in our minds to seem unattainable and out of reach. At the end of the day, it's just people. Fallible, imperfect human people, who if we're lucky, are also kind and competent. I am super thankful that I listened to Wendy (who is SO right about lots of things!) and a handful of other folx who I care deeply about and whose opinions I respect more than they know. 


So...it's been over 100 days as Vice President of Student Affairs at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (MCLA)!!!! There are days when thoughts cycle on repeat about this...

  • What am I doing?!
  • This is so freaking awesome!
  • This is a big deal for my family.
  • Am I really prepared to do this?
  • Was that a good decision this afternoon?
  • I rocked that! 
  • Who are these people?
  • These are my kind of people!
The one thought that is constant is: I am in the right place. I like this thought most. It leaves room for the doubts, the joys, the fears, the challenges, the wins, the uncertainty, and the unknown in a way that keeps me grounded. 

There are lots of people in our division. Athletics (D3), Residence Life and Housing, MCLA Dining (Aramark), Counseling Services, Health Services, Conduct, Title IX and EEO for students (Interim till we find a permanent person- know anyone? We are hiring!), Student Engagement, Public Safety and Campus Police, Women's Center, Identity, Gender, and Equity Center, Commuter Student Support, Veterans Support, Multicultural Education Resource Center, and the Welcome Center....whew! All of #TeamSmith participated in our first division meeting.




The campus is beautiful. 105 acres I learned today! That includes the athletics complex, which is a bit of hike and can flood as it at the base of a mountain (yay for challenges to work on!). 













There were three new VPs welcomed to the community and the president (my boss) was intentional in bringing us together for a retreat with a consultant to acculturate us as a newly formed exec team, have honest conversation about supporting each other, clarity on our goals and shared values, and start to build a strong foundation for a meaningful working relationship. It was one of the best retreats I have ever experienced and a really neat way to be welcomed to the team. I knew I would appreciate a president who had a student affairs background, but I did not know how much! The whole family was welcome! We would have breakfast together, then the fam would go off and do something fun and the rest of us were in sessions till dinner. 









Every day is different and a learning experience. Part of how I am learning about the community and culture is by attending everything! I say yes when someone invites me to something (a meeting, a game, a training) and then I say yes when someone asks me to help with something (a training, a webinar, a conflict) and then I say yes again when someone wants to connect (emails, happy hour, meals, 1:1s, open office hours). It makes for a very busy schedule. It won't always be like this, but for now, it is the best way that I can get plugged in. I also say yes when #TeamSmith needs me (school events, puppy walks, library visits, outdoor hikes, homework review, baking, crafting, and movie watching). 

Convocation, Staff&Faculty Breakfast, Welcome Back BBQ, Soccer Games












Minute2WinIt Game Night, Soccer, Volleyball









Getting dressed, Cops&Coffee, Office Time, Family Carnival












Fall Foliage Parade (We won an award!)
































Day of Service (Our team cleaned a community center across from a park!)




From day one, I have felt welcomed and supported by my MCLA family, and cheered on by the wonderful people I have been blessed to be in community with as family and colleagues and friends. Every day I go to work, wanting to make y'all proud.






I definitely feel I am in the right place <3 























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dancing

Cassidy loves to dance. So far, any type of music gets her going! In this video we were cleaning the kitchen when she decided to break out. When she saw the camera she started saying cheese because she thought it was a real camera. I hope you can see it!

After you clean your room...

This evening Cassidy revealed to me a small secret to keeping her occupied. After dinner she asked me if she could watch a show. We don't have tv, but we do have netflix through the wii on our tv and we watch all the greatness that PBS and Nickelodian have to offer! Except for Caillou because I think he's kind of whiny. Anyway, she gets to watch limited amounts of Diego, Dora, Dinosaur Train, Super Why, Word World, etc and sometimes we throw in some Cosby Show for good measure. She'll pick two shows and watch one, 20 minute episode of each and then we call it good. Well tonight when she asked for a show, I told her she could watch one episode of her favorite after she cleaned her room. She went into her room and as she started putting toys away, she started playing with them. She'd go to put books away and start "reading" them. Twenty minutes later she'd start putting crayons away, then start drawing with them. Ten minutes later she'd start putting awa...

Dear Cassidy and future Baby Smith

Dear Cassidy and future Baby Smith, I am sure that bloggers across the world are firing away about a news piece gone viral today. http://gma.yahoo.com/k-e-diet-brides-using-feeding-tubes-rapidly-080053646--abc-news-health.html In case this link is non-existent by the time you read this, long story short, people are using feeding tubes for rapid weight loss in a short amount of time. This is your mother talking. If for some reason this ridiculous trend is still around when you grow up, and you think about doing this to your self, please know that I will spank you and put you in timeout. You do not diet to fit into a dress, or suit. You pick an outfit that highlights your best attributes and get it tailored to fit your body, not the other way around. No matter what size you are, as long as your are healthy, not putting toxins into your body, and exercising, whatever size you are is beautiful and perfect in God's eyes because God does not make mistakes. There is a flattering de...