Skip to main content

1st Day of Kindergarten!



How is Cassidy in kindergarten already?

A month or so ago when she did her first assessment for the Spanish immersion program, we sat in the lobby while she "played" with her future teacher and a few classmates. A mom sitting across from me asked if this was our first. As I nodded and said yes, the tears started. Uncontrollable and swift, I sobbed.

Last week we went to her second assessment, with her teacher. We got her short list of supplies and went shopping. Again, I cried!

This morning I held it together until I got home. And while looking at her pictures, I lost it. Hopefully the tears are done now!

Cassidy is in kindergarten. Sweet corn on the cob. It should not be a big deal. She has been in full time daycare since she was 8 weeks old. She is used to being in a structured school environment from 8am to 5:30pm. Kindergarten is not that long! But there is something about her being in a big kid school that gets to me. My baby is a big kid. She wants to do everything on her own, is close to being able to! She can almost tie her shoes on her own. She is whizzing by on a bike with no training wheels. She wants privacy when she goes potty. I am both proud of her independence and sufficiency, and sad she doesn't need me for some of these things. Then I start thinking that she does still need me for other things and I feel much better :-)  And we want her to be able to stand on her own two feet and stand up for herself and take care of herself. These are good things!

I worry about her being a good kid, being nice to other kids, and paying attention in class. I worry about the other kids- it is a K-8 school and the 8th graders look so big!!

I won't worry about her ability to see the board in class. Just last week she got glasses! Purple and pink, hello kitty glasses with a dora case. She was too excited. It helps that Aunt Emily gave her a book some time ago from one of her favorite heroines: Fancy Nancy.  In Fancy Nancy and the Spectacular Spectacles, Nancy's best friend Bree gets glasses. And it's a very good thing. Having read this book the last couple years to the point of memorization, Cass was super excited to get glasses! So thank you Aunt Emily, who knew how helpful this book would turn out to be!

Cass got a special breakfast today. Usually it's cheerios and some fruit because having time to actually cook on school days is unheard of. But today, we were going to go out to Mimis at Cass' request. This is why the car was decorated. Cass decided she wanted to eat at home, so we cooked and then walked to school. It's a beautiful walk and we are blessed to live in a good neighborhood walking distance to a safe school. This was not always the case when I was growing up. And the more I think about it, the more I know, this is one of the reasons I am so emotional about her going to kindergarten.

Her school experience will be so different from mine. This is why we work so hard. I know my experiences have made me who I am and facing challenges and struggles builds character. But you want more for your kid. And to be in a place where we can provide that for her makes me so happy. She will come across other challenges, different experiences that will push her to grow. But the craziness of my upbringing will not be one of them!

Frozen backpack? Check.
Doc McStuffins lunch box? Check. (Thank you babies r us for the sale and free stuff!)
Uniform cleaned and pressed? Check.
Supplies? Check.
Enthusiasm, Confidence, Smarts, and Good Attitude? Check +.

Here we go!


Mrs. Castillo leading her class inside. 

In line, ready to go!

Walking to the classroom.

Add caption

Perfect timing! Y'all have no idea how much Savannah loves her some Matt and 'Nessa.
She wiggles with excitement when she sees them! 

Walking to school.

On our way!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dancing

Cassidy loves to dance. So far, any type of music gets her going! In this video we were cleaning the kitchen when she decided to break out. When she saw the camera she started saying cheese because she thought it was a real camera. I hope you can see it!

After you clean your room...

This evening Cassidy revealed to me a small secret to keeping her occupied. After dinner she asked me if she could watch a show. We don't have tv, but we do have netflix through the wii on our tv and we watch all the greatness that PBS and Nickelodian have to offer! Except for Caillou because I think he's kind of whiny. Anyway, she gets to watch limited amounts of Diego, Dora, Dinosaur Train, Super Why, Word World, etc and sometimes we throw in some Cosby Show for good measure. She'll pick two shows and watch one, 20 minute episode of each and then we call it good. Well tonight when she asked for a show, I told her she could watch one episode of her favorite after she cleaned her room. She went into her room and as she started putting toys away, she started playing with them. She'd go to put books away and start "reading" them. Twenty minutes later she'd start putting crayons away, then start drawing with them. Ten minutes later she'd start putting awa...

Dear Cassidy and future Baby Smith

Dear Cassidy and future Baby Smith, I am sure that bloggers across the world are firing away about a news piece gone viral today. http://gma.yahoo.com/k-e-diet-brides-using-feeding-tubes-rapidly-080053646--abc-news-health.html In case this link is non-existent by the time you read this, long story short, people are using feeding tubes for rapid weight loss in a short amount of time. This is your mother talking. If for some reason this ridiculous trend is still around when you grow up, and you think about doing this to your self, please know that I will spank you and put you in timeout. You do not diet to fit into a dress, or suit. You pick an outfit that highlights your best attributes and get it tailored to fit your body, not the other way around. No matter what size you are, as long as your are healthy, not putting toxins into your body, and exercising, whatever size you are is beautiful and perfect in God's eyes because God does not make mistakes. There is a flattering de...